• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CuriousInAK
    started a topic Curious about work Breaks in Alaska

Curious about work Breaks in Alaska

Hello All,

From what I could find I was able to determine that breaks are not required in Alaska once you are over the age of 17.
    My question/confusion is this:

My current employer provides two 15 minute breaks in an 8 hour work period. They are actual scheduled times for breaks and lunches although they are rarely followed. I know that breaks aren't required but is there anything that prevents an employer from taking them away depending on how busy we are or for some to get their breaks and others to not? There are times where those whose breaks are early or leave earlier in the day are able to get their breaks while those of us who close get stiffed on being able to take them. The only response we get from Management is "Well, we don't even have to give it to you."

Confused on how this works. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

ConfusedInAK

• cbg
    replied
    Since you are correct that breaks are not required for employees over the age of 17, it is entirely up to the employer whether to provide them or not. Yes, they may be taken away. Yes, they may be provided to some employees and not to others. If the employer chooses to provide the breaks, there are only two things they cannot do; (1) make breaks of less than 15 minutes unpaid and (2) determine who does and who does not get breaks on the basis of a characteristic protected by law. If they want to make the breaks contingent on your schedule, or your department, or how much work they have are, nothing in either Federal or state law is going to tell them they can't.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X