Fighting Wage Reduction in Wyoming Wyoming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting Wage Reduction in Wyoming Wyoming

My mother has worked in a healthcare facility for almost ten years. She was hired as the Director of Environmental Services, or housekeeping. Throughout the past ten years she has received numerous pay raises and nearly flawless evaluations. At the beginning of this year, the director of maintenance, which is closely related to the housekeeping department, was not doing his job. The main director of the hospital decided to take action and hire someone, from outside of the hospital to be the director of both housekeeping and maintenance, combining the two. My mom was told numerous times throughout the search that she had done nothing wrong to influence the decision. The CEO of the hospital just decided to combine the two because he had never seen them separate before. The director, who is below the CEO but directly above my mother, told her that this change would not demote her or change her wages. Over the past six months, she has been told this numerous times.
    They finally hired someone to be in charge of the two departments, and my mother and the director of maintenance were demoted to managers of their departments. My mother had to train the new director how to do many of the jobs she's been in charge of for the past ten years. A week after he was hired and she had trained him, the director of the hospital sent my mom a text message telling her that she needed to start clocking in and out on time, now that she is a manager. She once again asked about her wages and the director told her they would need to talk about it on the next Monday.
    He did not try to get ahold of her on Monday. My mom had to try several different times before finally getting a meeting with him. At the meeting she was told that she would be loosing $6 an hour now that she was a manager. She was told this by the same man that promised her time and time again that her wages would not be changed. He explained to her that she had not done anything wrong, had been doing a great job, and that she just wasn't allowed to make more money than the new director, even though she has 10 years more experience.
    Is there anything she can do to fight this?

Wyoming does not have any laws addressing when or how an employer may reduce an employees wages or whether an employer must provide employees notice prior to instituting a wage reduction. Any wage reduction can only be applied to hours worked after the change and cannot be applied to hours already worked. (per Wyoming Dept. of Workforce Services)

What the employer is doing is legal as long as she makes at least min. wage (unless she has a binding employment contract guaranteeing no reduction in wage).
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

There is nothing in law that prevents one from making more than the boss , it's not common but not entirely rare either. management is free to change pay going forward...their call

I'm not sure what all is in your question..in some situations a massively cut could be held as a form of constructive dismissal .....I'm not sure where. $6 falls.

Comment

Lowering her pay by $6 might make her seek employment elsewhere but it is not illegal.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The post is a bit stale --and perhaps past the point where it matters to OP --but I'm not suggesting a big pay cut is illegal--merely that a big % pay cut and perhaps a status change from exempt to punch he clock is constructive dismissal for whatever purpose fits--such as unemployment if one refuses to go along-----to go along for some time and then quit may not cut it

Comment

Constructive dismissal is not, in and of itself, illegal. Not unless it's done as part of an illegally discriminatory or harassing act.

So what, pray tell, is the point of raising the issue, since you acknowledge that this action is not illegal?

Please, Raster. We are happy to have you post if you stick to relevant issues. You have the potential to be a valuable contributor if you can keep to the point. If you don't...
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Maybe, although this is a "read the fine print" sort of issue.
              - If we are talking UI only, this may be a qualifying event for UI. Or not. Different states have different rules is this area.
              - If we are talking for real "constructive discharge" as in an actual law being broken, then we need to know exactly which law is being broken. If the termination is legal (and most are), then it is hard to argue that a constructive discharge was occurred. Lowering wages is not inherently illegal.
              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
              Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
              X