Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charging PTO for a 6 day work week (California)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging PTO for a 6 day work week (California)

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so I hope I am doing right.

Can someone confirm if this is correct?

An employee's normal work week is 5x week with 2 mandatory Saturdays each month. The week with Saturday work, the employee takes two days off of the week. Does he get charged 8 hrs or 16 hrs of PTO? Employee claims that he is already working on Saturday, therefore should only be charged 8 hours. I say 16 because his normal work week is 5x per week.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

This is a matter of company policy, not law. But I would charge the 16.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Ditto. This isn't governed by law and the number of employers who would allow time worked over the weekend to offset leave taken during the week are outnumbered by those who would not. In other words, your employer's policy is pretty common.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thank you

I should mention he is salaried. Thank you for the input.

Comment

Being salaried does not change the circumstances in this case.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
          X