Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA DLSE - Wage Claim Appeals California

Hello,

Last month, I went into my hearing for my wage claim against my former employer (defendant), and just last week, I received the decision, which awarded me 1/2 of the amount I claimed. I am perfectly happy with this amount, even though the reason behind denying me the other half is based on faulty testimony from the defendant. But I can overlook that just to have this whole thing be done.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from the defendant's attorney saying that they are planning on appealing, which is annoying, to say the least. My question is this: if they appeal the decision, will I be able to argue for the 1/2 of the amount that I was denied? Or is the only thing on the table the decision that I was awarded?

If the whole thing is back on the table for discussion, then I'm just going to hire an attorney and go into appeals. If only the half that I was awarded can be revisited, then I feel like I would be at a disadvantage and would like to appeal as well. Can anyone give me more information about this process in California?

Thanks so much!

It depends on what grounds they appeal and which charges they appeal. They may only take issue with some portion of the judgement. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. We would have no way of knowing their intentions. Legal counsel is highly recommended.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thanks, ElleMD. I'll look into getting a consultation with an attorney to see what my options are. Of course I'm hoping that the defendant won't appeal, but if he does, I guess I would like to appeal as well so I have my bases covered.

Comment

Working...
      X