Need direction & advice Utah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need direction & advice Utah

I've told you guys about the work I've done before. One of the main areas is in restaurants. Tipped waitstaff.
    Well, I look at the numbers now, unofficially, and I'm shocked. It has been many years since the last time the tipped minimum wage has changed. It is still $2.13/hr. Yeah, if you do not make enough in tips to make up the difference between the $2.13/hr. and $8/hr. (state minimum wage), the employer has to make up the difference.
    With that said, the waitstaff is still taxed heavily on the tips.

I am putting together a proposal to put before a state representative here that will *either* make the tips exempt from state income tax *or* raise the tipped minimum wage to equal the state minimum wage.

And I can't do this alone, as I may have experience doing that kind of work, I really have no idea WHAT I'm doing or how to properly do it.

And that is where you ladies & gentlemen come in.

HELP!!!!

(add sheepish grin here)
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Personally I think you would have a better argument with raising their minimum wage than exempting them from income tax on tips. Why? because I know that higher end waiting can bring in significant income and do you really want the waiter who is earning a solid living to not pay any income taxes on that income? If you raise the minimum it doesn't really affect that higher end at all. But does help protect the lower end.

I do have to agree that the low tipped minimum wage is ridiculous. As is most tipping in general. But I know some people who can make significant earnings in just one evening of waiting tables. Definitely more than I make in a day!

Comment

All 3 of my brothers have worked for legislators both state and federal. One of my brothers is in elected office now so I have some familiarity with bringing your concerns to your representatives. I recommend getting a few friends from the industry on board with what you want to do, preferably from various employers. If you can get the support of any industry groups, so much the better. Call your legislator's office or visit their website and request a meeting. Present your ideas but there is no need for your proposal to resemble an actual bill or resolution. 99.9% of constituent proposals are not in any specific format and the few that are always have to be rewritten anyway.

I agree that getting the MW raised is going to be much easier to pass than a tax exemption. In general, legislators are hestitant to do anything that reduces revenue.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
      X