Pay for working from home? Minnesota

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay for working from home? Minnesota

The other day my car broke down on my way into work. I immediately sent an email to my co-workers and my boss (the president of the company) to let them know that I would not be in becuase of car troubles. I also let them know that I will attempt to log in and work from home on anything that I can. I was able to log in and work from about 10-4 and accomplished a lot. Today I sent an email to my boss, because I had not gotten a response from my previous email, asking how to deal with my time for that day as we use a system to clock in and out. I asked if I should just let the payroll gal know the hours I worked, like I have done in the past. He replied to my email saying "In this case, lets do nothing. You made an effort to help us and I appreciate it a great deal. So thank you." I am wondering if he can really say they wont pay me for those hours?! Is that legal?

It doesn't sound like he intends to not pay you. Instead, it sounds like he is going to treat it as a regular day worked though presumably, you don't typically work from only 10-4.

Are you paid on an hourly basis? If so, then yes you should be paid for those hours. If you are exempt, they can not dock for that day. The company could charge you PTO for the missing time, even though you did work some from home.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

I am hourly, and not sure what exempt means? like from what? As for PTO I have 0 days right now... tomorrow (Aug 1) i get more days. So then what should i be doing if he does not pay me for those hours.

Comment

If you are paid hourly you are non-exempt which means you are eligible for overtime. If the employer refuses to pay for the hours you actually worked, you can file a claim with the DOL. There is no obligation for them to pay for hours not worked.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

I have to say, it doesn't sound to me either as if he is intending not to pay you; it sounds as if he intends to pay you for the full day.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree with the other responders, it sounds like your boss meant he was planning to pay you.

Comment

I actually disagree on the interpretation of what his boss said. The OP said he normally clocks in and out, as he is hourly. If they 'do nothing', how does payroll know when he worked? If payroll doesn't know when he worked, he won't get paid for those hours.

I would go back and clarify with his boss what he meant. Also be prepared to show proof that work was indeed completed from home.

Comment

Good point. It certainly would not hurt to clarify with the boss.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

1. Unless you are both Exempt and paid on a Salary basis, you must be paid for all hours worked. Federal law (FLSA) does not care where the work was done. Under federal law, hours worked are hours worked no matter where the work occurred.

2. While federal law cares only about minimum wage and overtime, state law almost certainly cares about all earned wages.

3. While the employer is required to pay you for all hours worked, they can legally fire you for working unapproved overtime.
                  "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                  Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thanks so much, you have really helped a ton! i sent an email yesterday to my boss asking to clarify it more. i have not got a response yet, but he was out of the office all day so... we will see!

Comment

Working...
                    X