Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I am paid commission only can an employer mandate that I work hourly? Illinois

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I am paid commission only can an employer mandate that I work hourly? Illinois

Hello, I was unable to find out answers to my predicament.

I have recently switched from a salary paying job working for a show room that sells window treatments to commission based outside sales.

The contract they have presented to me has a stipulation that I will work one Saturday per month in the showroom without being paid. It states that If I work more than 7 hours per week, that I will be paid for hours in excess of the 7 hours....but not for the first 7 hours.

Is this legal to not pay for the first 7 hours worked? They say it is.

My old contract had me working a 40 hour work week M-F, but they salaried me so they didn't have to pay for Saturday which brought me up to 48 hours + I put in at the show room.

Should I have been paid overtime for those extra 8 hours I put in at the showroom even though I was a salaried employee?

My job responsibilities were to set up leads, take phone calls, and manage the showroom.

Also, If I work more than 40 hours in a week, are commission based employees entitled to overtime?

Please let me know if you need any additional details.

Thanks for your help in advance!
    Last edited by Tommy1234; 06-03-2013, 10:58 AM.
Working...
X