Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE HELP ((NEED INFO FOR MGR TOMORROW)) Maryland

I LIVE AND WORK IN MARYLAND.

Here's the deal. I'm on the schedule for 9:30am every day. When i come into work i clock in asap. then put my stuff away and put on the company issued security jacket.

Now the mod's say you can't punch in until you put your coat away and put the security vest on. Which will make me late every single day because that takes like 5min.

Also they won't let us take the security vest home. SO WE CAN'T SHOW UP READY FOR WORK. We gotta change THERE.

SO IS THIS BREAKING ANY LAWS???? , I WOULD THINK ONCE I PUT THAT VEST ON THEN I'M WORKING FOR FREE OFF THE CLOCK!! RIGHT??

PLEASE HELP ASAP. I really want to fight this because most of the people i work with are college kids and some have even quit because they filled there being ripped off.

You're not working simply because you have the vest on. You're working when you start working.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Does it violate any law?

Now i have to report to work 10min early every day and change. And not get paid until i clock in.

Isint it considered working once you put that vest on with the company name?

Comment

No. It is not considered working just because you've put on the vest.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
          No. It is not considered working just because you've put on the vest.
          I get paid to DETER THEFT by wearing the jacket. By the time i put the jacket on. I'm 5min late because i HAD to change.

So once i walk out the back room with that VEST ON. IM DETERING THEFT. BECAUSE IT SAYS SECURITY/THEFT PREVENTION. RIGHT??

I'M NOT GETTING PAID....

THERE HAS TOO BE SOME LAW BEING BROKEN....

Comment

No. There is no law being broken. There is nothing in the law that says you have to be paid when you're not actually working just because you have the vest on.

Comment

For another opinion, agree with cbg.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Why does it take you 5 minutes to put on a jacket? That is a 30 second task. It sounds like the other 4.5 minutes is taken up with putting your personal items away.

Looking at it from the company's point of view, why should they pay you to put your personal items away?

Comment

As mentioned in another thread, my industry pays for donning and doffing time. This is rubber boots, raingear tops and bottoms (over clothing) and hairnet & earplugs. We timed what it takes the average worker to complete and it's easily done within 3.5 minutes.

That must be one amazing vest.

Comment

Again why is it taking 5 minutes to put a vest on? Are other LP's having similar problems?
                    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                    X