This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wage Claim Conference--What to Expect? California

First time poster. I sent in the paperwork to file a wage claim last month. I am scheduled to attend a conference on Tuesday, June 7th in order to see if I may settle this matter with my previous employer. I doubt that a settlement will be agreed apon during this conference.
    I'm posting so that I can ask--can anyone tell me what to expect from the conference regarding procedure, statements, etc.? I'm quite young and inexperienced, I have no lawyer and I'm nervous as heck. My boyfriend has helped me prepare a brief and a statement, and I have all of the necessary documents. I was just wondering if someone can tell me about his or her experience (positive or negative) so that I can better prepare myself?

Do not over think this.
    - Address all comments to the Hearing Officer. Listen to what the other side says but do not interrupt or address comments to them.
    - Pretend that this is a court of law and the HO is a judge. You do not need a lawyer. You do need to be very polite, speak only when spoken to, and do not repeat yourself or raise your voice. Stay focused and on message. Assume that the HO has no interest in hosting family feud or listening to every time the employer was mean to you. Focus on things that are actually a law violation and for which the HO can actually find in your favor. This should be unpaid wages.
    - Documentation helps to a point. Assume that the HO is going to see a bunch of people that day and that they do not want to spend lots of time digging through a stack of papers you brought. SUMMARIZE your claim down to a single page. Have someone who does not mind offending you review it. If they can not understand, neither will the HO. Bring supporting documents but do not waive them in the HOs face. If the HO wants them (not likely), the HO will ask for them.
    - Let your employer be the bad guy who interrupts, repeats themselves and wastes the HOs time. The person who brasses of the HO the most tends to lose.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by DAW View Post
      Do not over think this.
      - Address all comments to the Hearing Officer. Listen to what the other side says but do not interrupt or address comments to them.
      - Pretend that this is a court of law and the HO is a judge. You do not need a lawyer. You do need to be very polite, speak only when spoken to, and do not repeat yourself or raise your voice. Stay focused and on message. Assume that the HO has no interest in hosting family feud or listening to every time the employer was mean to you. Focus on things that are actually a law violation and for which the HO can actually find in your favor. This should be unpaid wages.
      - Documentation helps to a point. Assume that the HO is going to see a bunch of people that day and that they do not want to spend lots of time digging through a stack of papers you brought. SUMMARIZE your claim down to a single page. Have someone who does not mind offending you review it. If they can not understand, neither will the HO. Bring supporting documents but do not waive them in the HOs face. If the HO wants them (not likely), the HO will ask for them.
      - Let your employer be the bad guy who interrupts, repeats themselves and wastes the HOs time. The person who brasses of the HO the most tends to lose.
      Solid advice. Mostly stuff I had in mind to begin with, but it's nice to hear it from someone else. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
      X