This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday pay Iowa Indiana

I was informed today that after Memorial Day our company would no longer offer a "floating holiday" for those of us who have those days as our regular days off. Memorial Day is a Monday which is my normal day off. We will be able to take a day off at another time. However, this is discontinued and the next holiday, July 4th, we will get pay but no time off. Other employees at the company who don't have that Monday as their regular day off will get paid and the day off. The employee manual does not state this new policy. I'm just not sure what to do.

There's nothing for you to do. The employer is not required by any law to offer a "floating" holiday for those whose regular day off falls on a holiday. If they want to discontinue the practice, it is perfectly legal for them to do so. Unless your employee handbook is so badly written as to constitute a legally binding contract, which rarely happens, they may change their benefit practices any time they want.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what you want us to tell you. Save for an employment contract or CBA your employer can do whatever they like with days off - paid and not.

Comment

Look at it this way, a paid holiday is to make the employee whole while giving the day off. It would not make employees happy if the company was closed but their checks were short 8 hours.

By giving employees who are off the day a floating holiday, they are actually making out on the deal by being given the entire check plus another 8 hours.

I know there are other ways to look at this but usually when a company does not give a floating holiday this is the reasoning.

Comment

The employee manual does not state this new policy. That's irrelevant. Your employer is not going to reprint the employee manual everytime they make a policy change. I'm sure eventually it will be in there, the next time they do an update.

I'm just not sure what to do. Nothing. If your employer wants to do away with floating holidays, the can. They don't have to provide paid holidays at all and if they do, your employer gets to dictate the "rules of the road."

Comment

Working...
          X