This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay for time waiting on a business trip Oregon

I hope someone has some solid advice, This is a complex issue and I don't know what to do.
    I am working abroad, In Israel for 6 months, at this stretch anyway. I applied for a work visa while in Israel, it's approved and all I had to do was leave the country for 7-10 days to allow their computer system to show me as out of the country, then I can go to a local embassy and get my visa, easy, right? Not so much
    The safest and best option for getting the visa was to go to Cyprus. It is close by, has an embassy and flights are cheap. My company approved this course of action by the way, no surprise I was coming here to get my visa.
    I assumed that I would do administrative work and keep in contact with my work in Israel from my hotel here. My company said NO, you cannot work from a hotel anywhere, period. According to our HR, I can use my vacation days while waiting for a work visa if I want to be paid. But they will cover my expenses while I am here, supposedly. My boss is asking HR and if they say no, I will have to fly home to the USA.
    If I am here for a valid business reason, can they force me to use vacation to be paid? I view this as business travel, which we are paid 8 hours for a day. I do not want to use vacation at all but may be forced to.
    Does anyone have any advice? are they breaking any laws making me use vacation time for a work reason?

No. There is no federal law that mandates that vacation even be offered to an employee. It is up to the company's discretion as to when the days may be used (or if they may be used at all). Barring some binding employment contract with a clause in it against this, this action is completely legal.

Comment

Agree, it's up to the employer as how to handle vacation days.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
      X