This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• docking vacation or sick time for leaving early Colorado

my boss docks sick time for hourly employees that are late. I found out recently that he also docks their sick time if they clock out early. Is this legal? They are not being paid for the time they are not there, how can he take sick time if they have left 5min early, & also not pay them?

It is 100% legal.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

why is it legal? they are hourly, not exempt, he is already not paying them for time they are not working? I don't understand why he can dock them for sick & vacation (he has done both) when they clock out early if we are slow? He sends them home & then penalizes them? I understands the punishment for tardiness but the other? I would just like to understand the basis for this. It really doesn't seem fair (I understand fair & legal aren't the same).

Comment

The employer can do it because there is no law that says they can't.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

so it is not so much allowed as not disallowed?
          and again, ethics are a different question than legality...?
          Last edited by appendix; 03-09-2011, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I don't really see where it is unethical but if you believe it is unfair or unethical, it is
            still not illegal.

Sorry.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

to tell someone to go home because it is slow, & then dock their vacation time because they left early I would consider unethical.
              I guess he can do it. We all knew he wasn't nice & I know ethical & legal aren't the same. Was just kind of hoping it was illegal here. Thanks for the help anyway. There are other areas that will bite him eventually.

Comment

Working...
              X