X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum Word Day California

Hello,

My boss is kind of a tyrant, but it was managable until recently when he cut everyone's hours fom 30 hours/week to 18 hours/week. We work 6 days a week, which pays us only 3 hours a day.

I thought that a minimum work day in California had to be 4 hours, but I can't find any references to back this up.

Am I wrong about this?

Thanks...

Yes, you are. But I understand why you thought such a law existed.

If an employee is scheduled for a certain number of hours and is sent home before he has completed his scheduled shift, under CA law and with certain exceptions he is entitled to be paid for one half his scheduled shift, with a minimum of two and a maximum of four hours. This is called "reporting pay" and CA is one of only a handful of states that require it. It's intended to compensate an employee who has relied upon working (and being paid) for a certain number of hours and then having that reduced at a moment's notice.

But that is not the same as a requirement that all shifts must be a minimum of four hours.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Is there anything that can be done for an employer that "guaranteed" 30 hours a week, then reduced it to 18 without notice?

Comment

Not unless the guarantee was made by way of a legally binding and enforceable contract.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

That's what I was afraid of.

Thanks so much for your quick response and helpful information!

Comment

Your best options are:
            - Do not quit.
            - File a UI claim now for the reduced hours. It works or it does not.
            - Start looking now for a better job with a different employer. Keep the old job until you get the new job.
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Just wondering what a minimum word day is?

And which day?

Comment

Working...
              X