This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Withholding checks in Iowa

I just quite my job at (deleted), on good terms, but I had to turn in my key and uniform. I recently turned my uniform in but could not find the key. I was told that I could not get my paycheck until both were turned in. Is it legal to withhold checks from employees if nothing is stated in my contract that i have to return both my uniform and key? And the person my boss had make the keys got them for free anyways so it is not like they paid money for them.
    Last edited by Betty3; 01-23-2011, 02:05 PM. Reason: remove name of employer

No, they cannot hold your paycheck. In Iowa employers must pay employees whose
    employment has been suspended or terminated no later than the next regular payday.

If you don't receive it, file a claim with your state DOL.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

http://www.iowaworkforce.org/labor/w...orm3096058.pdf
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Just for future reference and future readers, the sole state where an employer is expressly given permission to withhold the final paycheck until all company property is turned in, is South Dakota. In all other states, either the state has set a specific time frame in which the final check MUST be provided, or (in a very small handful of states) the law does not address the final paycheck at all.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
        X