This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding Vacation Pay - Ontario, Canada Alabama

*For some reason, the title reads "Alabama". I assure you, I live in Ontario, Canada. I'm sorry if this forum is American-only.

My boss has just informed me that we will not be able to pull from our vacation pay this year. All vacation pay earnings for this year will not be available to us until next year. Is this legal?

I have been working here for years, full-time, and I have been receiving vacation pay since the day I started. I know of some employees of other businesses that take their vacation pay with each check, instead of letting it accumulate through the year (4% of gross income). I've never heard of a company holding an employee's vacation pay until the next year, until now.

I rely on my vacation pay as a "safety net". For example, if my car needs repair, I know I usually have a few hundred dollars to pull from my vacation pay to resolve my problem. Now, I would have to rely on my credit card to pay for these extras, with interest, which REALLY doesn't help my situation.

As I said, I've been using my vacation pay since I've started here. I don't understand how "all of a sudden", we're forbidden to pull from any vacation pay that we have earned throughout the year.

If this is legal, is there a name for it?
    Last edited by extion; 01-11-2011, 10:54 PM.

US and Canadian law are not the same and we have no experts on Canadian law, sorry. In the US this would be legal.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

You might try this site & see if it has your answer.

http://www.legaline.ca:80/
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
      X