This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final check being withheld? Ohio

I work at a tanning salon that's very laid back. I was issued a key. One day I forgot my key, and used an employees key to lock the door. The second key was later lost, as this was a few months ago.

I quit, and they're threatening to withhold my paycheck until both keys are returned. I returned the one I was issued, but can't find the other for the life of me. Are they legally able to withhold my final paycheck?

No, they cannot hold your paycheck. Has the payday come and gone yet?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Nope it's tomorrow. What do I do if I go to work and they refuse to give me my paycheck? Would I have to contact the department of labor or the police, or where would I go from there?

Comment

Also, they said my paycheck would be withheld as a down payment for changing the locks.

Can they withhold my final paycheck for business expenditures due to my employment, or would they have to sue me for damages (ie: getting new locks)?

Comment

You sort of have two very different issues here.
          - Can the employer "hold" the check? That is a "no". If this happens, file a wage claim with OH DOL (or whatever OH calls their DOL). This is a civil matter, not a police matter.
          - Can the employer charge you for the keys? That is a "maybe". Under federal law, the employer can recover this cost from you without your permission as long as minimum wage and overtime rules are not violated. Example. Bob makes $10/hr and works 50 hours in the workweek. Under federal rules for this type of deduction (legally called a "for the benefit of the employer" deduction), the 10 hours of OT at $15/hr cannot be touched, and the 40 hours at MW of $7.25/hr cannot be touched. The only portion that can be touched (in this example) would be the 40 hours at $2.75/hr.

Now that is federal only. OH is not my state. OH is generally a "just like federal" state for most purposes, but I do not know as a fact that this is true in this instance.
          http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs16.pdf

Past this, the employer can always take you to court to recovery any funds due.
          Last edited by DAW; 01-06-2011, 05:20 PM.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
          X