This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecticut Suspended for Disrespecting a superior

Delete this I posted in the wrong section!

At the beginning of the week I was suspended from a paid volunteer organization for "Disrespecting a Superior". The disrespect was answering a question asking if I was upset ("pissed off" to use the superiors words) that I was there to do a job that I didn't like and not get to do the work that I wanted. I told him I was there to work, if I didn't want to work then I wouldn't be there. I understand that this is an At-Will situation and the Organization can do whatever they want, but I may be being discriminated against because of who I am.

When I was suspended I did not receive credit for the work I performed that day. We receive an incentives check based on our participation. So no record of participation, no compensation. In addition to the volunteer work I perform, I am also a paid employee at this organization and am missing work because of this suspension. The wages that I am not earning because of this suspension will make it difficult to make ends meet for this month so that is putting a lot of pressure on me to figure this out so I can get back to work because I need heating oil and food. But I am not about to do whatever it takes to get back to work because I refuse to be a door mat for these power-trip superiors to walk all over.

When I was suspended I was told that the Superiors would be in touch to 'figure out what they are going to do with me". I was not given a date my suspension would end, no time frame they would be in touch with me, no paper work, no chance to defend or explain myself, nothing. Just a verbal 'you are suspended until further notice.' This wasn't even in a professional manor. The few minutes the superior was suspending myself and another he was screaming at the top of his lungs, his face was cherry red. I have never been screamed at like that in my life and I have made some bad decisions in the past! I believe I was wrongfully suspended and this is a result of a superior taking out his personal aggression on myself and another. The Assistant Superior is the type of person that is usually disrespectful to many people. He bewiddles, bully's and constantly talks down to people like they are idiots.

What basically happened to lead to the suspension was an Assisant Superior approached myself and another person and immediately started to attack us verbally. When we showed a defensive demeanor he asked if we were unhappy (pissed off to use his words). When we told him yes, we don't really care for this type of work, but we are here to work, he told us (actually screamed at us) to leave using 4-letter obscenities. I told him that I was there to work, if I didn't want to work then I wouldn't be there. This went on for 2 more volleys of him screaming obscenities at us to leave, and myself saying we were there to work. Should I have just left at that point? I believe if I just left I would have been suspended just the same.

Not once did I say that I didn't want to be there or use inappropriate language. I did not stand off to the side and not work. While I was there I worked just as hard as I would have any other time.

What should I do, what can I do? I feel like I should take action against the assistant superior that initiated the verbal attack, the superior that suspended me is only operating off the information being fed to him by the assistant. When I go in for my review, this Assistant will be on the board so I feel that I am at a loss here.
    Last edited by Anon_; 12-17-2010, 11:04 AM. Reason: delete

Based on what you have written, your suspension was legal. It appears the Assistant was very unprofessional but that is not illegal. There is no law which governs how a suspension is handled (paperwork, length of time, etc).

I would suggest going to the Assistant Supervisor's superior but from what you have written the Supervisor was also unprofessional while speaking with you.

It would also have been legal to suspend or fire you for saying you didn't like the work and were pissed off.

Comment

Suspended in Connecticut

At the beginning of the week I was suspended from a paid volunteer organization for "Disrespecting a Superior". The disrespect was answering a question asking if I was upset ("pissed off" to use the superiors words) that I was there to do a job that I didn't like and not get to do the work that I wanted. I told him I was there to work, if I didn't want to work then I wouldn't be there. I understand that this is an At-Will situation and the Organization can do whatever they want, but I may be being discriminated against because of who I am.

When I was suspended I did not receive credit for the work I performed that day. We receive an incentives check based on our participation. So no record of participation, no compensation. In addition to the volunteer work I perform, I am also a paid employee at this organization and am missing work because of this suspension. The wages that I am not earning because of this suspension will make it difficult to make ends meet for this month so that is putting a lot of pressure on me to figure this out so I can get back to work because I need heating oil and food. But I am not about to do whatever it takes to get back to work because I refuse to be a door mat for these power-trip superiors to walk all over.

When I was suspended I was told that the Superiors would be in touch to 'figure out what they are going to do with me". I was not given a date my suspension would end, no time frame they would be in touch with me, no paper work, no chance to defend or explain myself, nothing. Just a verbal 'you are suspended until further notice.' This wasn't even in a professional manor. The few minutes the superior was suspending myself and another he was screaming at the top of his lungs, his face was cherry red. I have never been screamed at like that in my life and I have made some bad decisions in the past! I believe I was wrongfully suspended and this is a result of a superior taking out his personal aggression on myself and another. The Assistant Superior is the type of person that is usually disrespectful to many people. He bewiddles, bully's and constantly talks down to people like they are idiots.

What basically happened to lead to the suspension was an Assisant Superior approached myself and another person and immediately started to attack us verbally. When we showed a defensive demeanor he asked if we were unhappy (pissed off to use his words). When we told him yes, we don't really care for this type of work, but we are here to work, he told us (actually screamed at us) to leave using 4-letter obscenities. I told him that I was there to work, if I didn't want to work then I wouldn't be there. This went on for 2 more volleys of him screaming obscenities at us to leave, and myself saying we were there to work. Should I have just left at that point? I believe if I just left I would have been suspended just the same.

Not once did I say that I didn't want to be there or use inappropriate language. I did not stand off to the side and not work. While I was there I worked just as hard as I would have any other time.

What should I do, what can I do? I feel like I should take action against the assistant superior that initiated the verbal attack, the superior that suspended me is only operating off the information being fed to him by the assistant. When I go in for my review, this Assistant will be on the board so I feel that I am at a loss here.

Comment

There was no need to repost. We're really not all that concerned with whether your post is in exactly the right forum or not; as long as you don't post an employment law question under Family Law, or a Criminal Law case under Real Estate law or something like that, we just aren't that concerned. All the responders read all the relevant forums to their area anyway, so it's not like different people will be reading it depending on where you post. You'll get the same responders either way.

Since your original thread already had a response, I am linking it here so that all the answers can stay together. Later on I, or one of the other moderators, will combine the two threads but I don't have time to do that now.

http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=277881
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

per cbg's post, I'll combine them - this one with one that had reply.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

OP, I did not delete your first post since it had a reply. They were combined as
            cbg noted they would be.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Sorry I was having some browser issues.

Comment

That's ok. You weren't the first person to start more than one thread. We were just letting you know there should be only one thread started though.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. That is the feeling I had from previous knowledge. I only wanted to ask others because what makes this "f'd up" to me is that this is a volunteer emergency response organization that is responsible for saving lives. I'm am worried for them.

Comment

Working...
                  X