This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips and Gratuities Washington

Can a business owner hold 10% of all gratuities and use them for bonuses at a later time in the year??

I feel the employees are being bonused with money they already earned through gratuities

Explain your understanding of "gratuities". Are these service charges that are mandatory additions to the bill?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agreed. You (and any one else working for tips) might also take a hard look at the following.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.htm
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The gratuities are two different types.

1. 17% added to catering order.

2. Tip added to the the total by the customer.

The owner takes 10% of all of it and puts it into a "kitty" that is used to give employees when they go above and beyond, or for end of the year bonuses.

After looking at other inquiries, I think I actually know it can't be done but is there a loop hole he may be using to keep that percentage

Comment

1. These never have to be distributed to the servers, ever.
          2. These CANNOT be held by the employer; see the section titled Retention of Tips in the Fact Sheet DAW already provided.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X