This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State and Federal withholding California

I work in California and have noticed that my employer does not take any federal or state withholding from my check. I have brought the situation up with him and he tries to assure me that what he is doing is completely legal. I have had other employers where I am claiming the same amount on my W-4 form and state and federal was withheld. I also found out that the accountant had changed my W-4 withholding status, I brought this up with my supervisor and he had me fill out another one and submit it to the accountant. I guess my question is: Is it legal for someone to change my withholding without my knowledge, and how is it that I am not paying anything to state and federal.
    I will not be receiving a 1099 at the end of the year he told me that I will receive a W-2. Please advise as how to go forward.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Is any withholding of any kind occuring on the check? FICA for example? CA-SDI? Any other type of withholding?
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by DAW View Post
      Is any withholding of any kind occuring on the check? FICA for example? CA-SDI? Any other type of withholding?
      Yes I have Social Security and MediCare taken out of every check.

Comment

How about CA-SDI? If no CA-SDI withholding, that one you cannot fix yourself and you would need to talk to (I think) CA-EDD.

------

You are being treated like an employee (which is good). You are not being treated correctly.
        - FIT not withheld can/should be reported to IRS. HOWEVER!!!!! the employer failing to withhold FIT does not get you off the hook. If your employer is failing to do FIT withholding, you are legally required to make quarterly deposit. It is perfectly possible (and likely) for IRS to hold both parties (you and your employer) equally at fault in this matter.
        - SIT is pretty much the same thing, except that I think SIT is CA-FTB. Certainly complain to them, but also certainly make the deposits yourself in necessary. Again, the employer's failure does not get you off the hook.

Comment

I understand that I am responsible for the quarterly payments to the IRS. However my employer has told me otherwise.Claiming it's the amount I make and the deductions that I claim to why there is no state and federal withholding. I know better.
          Anyway I pay Social Security Employee, MediCare and CA Disability out of my check. No FICA or State.

Once again thank you for all of the responses it is very appreciated in this matter.

Comment

I think you meant no FIT or state. FICA IS Social Security.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Actually FICA is Social Security and Medicare. FICA is the Federal Insurance Compensation Act which is the law that authorized the Social Security and Medicare taxes. And yes I know that Patty knows this. But the second half of her answer was maybe unclear as stated.

------

The employer in this question is surfeit with organic fertilizer. The OP should ignore all the nonsense the employer is spewing and make deposits directly for both FIT and CA-SIT. I would also include a very brief letter to both government agencies stating that the employer is refusing to withhold FIT and SIT.

Comment

Originally posted by DAW View Post
                Actually FICA is Social Security and Medicare. FICA is the Federal Insurance Compensation Act which is the law that authorized the Social Security and Medicare taxes. And yes I know that Patty knows this. But the second half of her answer was maybe unclear as stated.
                Mind spoke faster than fingers.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X