This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timeframe to be reimbursed for gas? Oregon

Is there a timeframe employers are required to pay back gas costs? I had to drive company equipment to a few locations that cost me $ in gas. I used my personal car. I've been waiting over 2 weeks for some of it (very small amount) but 1 week for the other amount (which is quite a bit, I did over 16 hours of driving).

We get paid every other week (direct deposit), so my next work paycheck won't be until Oct 1st (by that time I'll have been waiting 3.5 weeks & also 2.5 weeks).

Under labor law, there are exactly two states that have some sort of expense reimbursement rules (CA, MA). Under OR labor law, your employer never has to reimburse expenses.

Having said that, there are two possibilities.
    - Not all law is labor law. File a small claims court action, say your company is not following it's own policy. It might work. It might not work. No sure things.
    - If you are paid at or close to minimum wage, then we might have a possible "free and clear" violation of the federal minimum wage laws.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

And two weeks is not all that long. I'd give it at least a month. Depending on the size of the company, A/P checks may only run weekly or even biweekly; not all companies reimburse expenses through payroll--in fact, I would venture to say that most don't. What does your supervisor say when you ask how long it usually takes?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I emailed the boss awhile ago, but haven't heard back yet. They don't want me to call unless its important to know right away (I mean, I can, I just don't want to annoy them).

They told me they'd reimburse me for the gas. I thought I got it right when I got back (at a different job I was at, I was reimbursed the same day as traveling). One of my co-workers said we're supposed to get it in a week, but she's been waiting a little over a month & hasn't gotten reimbursed for it yet.

Comment

& I am usually patient, I just have a house payment due before payday & I'm short just the money that was used for gas .

Comment

This is company-specific; the law does not address the issue.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I know you would feel bad about this, but if you're current on your mortgage payments now, and you don't get the reimbursement in time, just call the lender. One short house payment that you'll make up in a week or two is not going to hurt you.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you. My lender has a 15 day grace period (just switched lenders 2 months ago & didn't know they had a "grace period") so thank you for having me check with that! My paycheck is 5 days after the due date, so plenty of time .

As far as reimbursement, I'm still waiting on that but it should be within 2 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                X