X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hourly Minimum Massachusetts

Hi all,

I am inquiring about my weekly work hours. I work at a small private business anywhere between 6-10 hours a week. My question is, in Massachusetts, is there a law saying that an employer is to employ an employee for a minimum number of hours? i.e. is it a law that an employer must employ someone for at least 15 hours or more, or can you be schedules less than 15 hours and it still be legal. I am asking because I have filed for unemployment due to my lack of hours and pay, and my boss is telling me that he can fight it, but I don't think he can. His reason (or so he tells me) is that there isn't enough work right now, so shouldn't I be eligible to collect and still work my 6 hours a week?

Thanks for your help

John

No, there is no such requirement in any state. How many hours a week were you hired for?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agree, no min. # of hrs. have to be scheduled unless there is a binding employment contract to the contrary.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

:-)

It was never specified how many hours I was hired for. I appreciate the heads up, I wasn't sure if there was such a rule, now I know. Thank you!

:-)

Comment

You're welcome.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

check your contract it may have a number of hour in there? Also you can collect unemployment if pay + # of hours < unemployment

Squills
            err
            pigz
            errr..

Comment

Where does the poster say he has a contract?
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

What do you mean, everyone that has a job gets a contract.

Comment

That's not even close to true.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Okay, that's it. Pigz, you're gone. Again.

Comment

Back to the issue at hand.

If you were hired with no expectation of any regular hours, you would almost certainly not prevail in a UI claim for partial benefits, and if I were the employer, I would protest such a claim also. You can't really say you aren't getting your "full hours" when there are no specified "full hours" to start with. Besides, if this is/was your only wage-earning job, working such few hours in a week is likely to result in your not having enough wages to qualify for UI anyway.
                      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X