This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California - Paycheck does not include correct pay period

The Company I (non-exempt) work for has a bi-monthly pay period 15 and 30. I worked for 88 hours between 1-15 but was paid for 56 hours.The pay period on the pay stub says 1/1 to 1/15 but I am paid till 1/11 (56 hours).

Company claims that they will pay from 1/12 to 1/25 although the paystub dates will be from 1/16 to 1/31.

Is this legal to have a diffferent pay period mentioned in the pay stub than the actual dates for which the wages are earned?

That's semi-monthly, not bi-monthly. But I digress.

No, but I see some logistical problems here. When was the paycheck dated?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

paystub is dated 1/15

Comment

OK, then here's the logistical problem. In order to have paychecks paid on the 15th, the company would have had to run/submit the payroll to the processing company (whichever they use), probably no later than the 12th. There is no way they could have known what your hours were on the 12th-15th in time to process payroll. Were you paid actual hours through the 31st on the December 31 paycheck? I'd be surprised if this was not a common occurrence with every payroll, I can see that there are always going to be 2-3-4 days of time that would not be included because the hours are just not known.

Keep a record of your daily hours at home, and run the numbers each time you get paid. If you find that, in the long run, you are not being paid for all time worked, then you have a complaint. But a few days running over from the last pay period into the next (ad nauseum) cannot be avoided with a semi-monthly payroll that pays "current", unless the company forecasts the hours for the missing days, then makes adjustments on the following payroll.

I'd be surprised if this was not a common occurrence with every payroll, I can see that there are always going to be 2-3-4 days of time that would not be included because the hours are just not known at the time the payroll has to be submitted. The company can't change the pay stub period dates every pay period because of how the work days might fall in that pay period; not the way it works.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Patty,

Just my 2 cents here, but all the companies I have worked for have been exact on the dates the check is for. It seems that would be a critical point. What the money is for, and when it went out.

My employer pays 2 weeks behind, and dates the check ahead.

Example. I get paid at 3 PM today, (1/22) and the check is dated 1/25. It will be for the pay period from 12/28/09 to 1/11/10.

Lotus99, Do they have a new program or new worker in the payroll department??

Comment

GotSmart, I don't disagree with you, but you've been paid "in arrears", not current. One of the problems with paying nonexempt employees current; somebody either has to forecast (guess) what hours the employee is working in the last few days of the pay period or not pay those hours at all until they know what they actually were.

Comment

There is a reason I am not in payroll.

Comment

Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
                There is a reason I am not in payroll.
                Are you implying there is a reason I am?

Comment

Your wage statement (check stub) issued to you with the payment of wages must show the inclusive dates of when the wages were earned. They should not list the dates as 1/1 through 1/15 unless they are paying you for those days.
                  "The most patriotic people in America are the working class" - Cecil Roberts - President UMWA

Comment

Working...
                  X