This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia Labor Laws- 11 hours per day Virginia

I am a mechanic at a Toyota dealership in Springfield, VA. The entire shop was just informed that our work schedules would be changing from an eight hour day to an 11 hour day. 8 AM to 7 PM, five days a week. Some teams will work 6 AM to 5 PM and 7 AM to 6 PM.

Are there any labor laws that pertain to Mechanics in a car dealership? There isn't a union or even a group of people to stand up for us. Management is telling us that it is "good for our customers"..... I won't get an increase in pay or any overtime because Mechanics are paid a flat rate (hours based on the type of job).

The car mechanics will also be required to work a Saturday once or twice a month; (every 3rd Sat) from 8 to 5 PM. That will mean a six day work week with at least 62 hours.

Pertaining to childcare issues; I drop my kids off at school in the morning. If I have to go in one hour earlier and get off later, I won't be able to do my job when it comes to my own kids. Is there a way that I can tell my employer that due to dropping the kids off in the AM, I can't get to work until a specific time?

Aside from working these long hours each week, I wonder how many customers want their cars serviced by mechanics that are worn out & exhausted due to an unrealistic work schedule. I am on my feet the entire time that I'm working.
    Last edited by MechVA; 10-25-2009, 07:34 PM. Reason: typing errors

There are laws that pertain to employees in general, but there are no laws that would prohibit the schedule your employer is proposing. As a mechanic at a dealership, the FLSA provides an exception for overtime pay, so that's likely the reason you won't be getting it.

You can certainly ask to come in an hour late, but the employer does not have to agree. The employer is not required to take your child care arrangements into consideration. You might try to work out a deal for the coming in late while you look for another childcare facility. I know the one near my house opens at 6 a.m.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Your employer can require you to work the proposed schedule unless you would have a binding employment contract to the contrary which it "seems" you don't.

You can certainly talk to your employer as Patty suggested & see if something can be worked out in regard to childcare arrangements.
      Last edited by Betty3; 10-26-2009, 09:36 AM.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Hours will be modified

Thank you for your replies. MechVA

Comment

You're welcome.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
          X