This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unpaid

Recently, I started working with a contractor. We had verbally agreed on a certain pay per day off the books. After, two to three weeks of working for this contractor, he could never pay on time, and if he did it was never in full, always he would say, "I'll get the rest for you next friday." Well, after a couple times of dealing with that, and actually getting a check from the contractor that bounced when I deposited. I finally told him I couldn't work anymore, until he paid me what he owed me ($1200.00). That was almost three weeks ago. And, as of today he couldn't give me a definate answer of when he could pay me. What can I do to get the money that is owed to me?

Originally posted by unpaid worker
    Recently, I started working with a contractor. We had verbally agreed on a certain pay per day off the books. After, two to three weeks of working for this contractor, he could never pay on time, and if he did it was never in full, always he would say, "I'll get the rest for you next friday." Well, after a couple times of dealing with that, and actually getting a check from the contractor that bounced when I deposited. I finally told him I couldn't work anymore, until he paid me what he owed me ($1200.00). That was almost three weeks ago. And, as of today he couldn't give me a definate answer of when he could pay me. What can I do to get the money that is owed to me?
    Contact the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Dept. of Labor and file a claim for wages. Their website is: www.dol.gov.

If you need more information, let me know.
    In Solidarity,

Wayne

www.waynemarshall.org

Comment

Owed Wages

Where are you located? Some states are more aggressive than the fed's in chasing after unpaid wages.
      Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
      www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

unpaid

I am in CA. Bay Area

Comment

California

I would definitely file a claim with the state. California is the most aggressive of all of the states in this regard. You can read about the procedures to file a claim at: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/howtofilewageclaim.html
          Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
          www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
          X