This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Direct Deposit Pennsylvania

Can an employer require that its employees be paid wages via direct deposit n the states of Pennsylvania?

It has been a while since I have checked this, but my notes (from the BNA payroll library) say that following for PA:

Permitted if the employee has requested such method of payment in writing. The written agreement must include all terms and conditions under which transfers are to be made and the methods a wage-earner may use to withdraw such a request and terminate the agreement. Employee must receive a separate written record of each deposit either prior to or at the time of the deposit (Pennsylvania Statutes Annotated Title 7, 6121, 6122, as last amended (1975)).
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Curious, what would be the penalty for any employee that insists on receiving a paycheck? Maybe they have horrible credit and banks won't give them an account? Or maybe they just have a distrust of banks?

A company I worked for in the past had required all cruise ship employees to be setup on DD, I could understand the rationale for that. Are there similar circumstances in this case?

Comment

My reference for direct deposit Pa. says this: State law doesn't explicitly allow employers to require DD, but at least one Pa. court has implicitly endorsed the practice. Statler v. Unemployment Comp. Bd. of Review. 728 A.2d 1029 (Pa. Commw. Ct. 1999)
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X