This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• female in Michigan

there is the guy that works second shift that makes his .30 shifts difference then me.now,one sat.we work overtime and he come on my shift first and still gets to keep his shift prem.of .30
    is this fair to me? it is my shift and he is working with me and getting paid more.doesn't seem fair to me.Please help.

Difference in Pay

It is legal to pay different rates to two different people, as long as it based on a valid business reason. For example, if this other person started before you, he may receive a different premium because of the policy at the time he was hired. Other valid reasons could be his skill levels, performance levels or that he typically works the second shift more often than you. What differences exist between you and him?
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Originally posted by LConnell
      It is legal to pay different rates to two different people, as long as it based on a valid business reason. For example, if this other person started before you, he may receive a different premium because of the policy at the time he was hired. Other valid reasons could be his skill levels, performance levels or that he typically works the second shift more often than you. What differences exist between you and him?
      the differences between him and myself is,he works on second shift and gets .30 more cuz of the shift itself and that is it.we run the same machines.when it comes to overtime,he wants to work days and not his shift on weekends.so when he comes to days he still gets paid his shift premium.
      now....how can that be?I know they can do anything they want.DO you think it is far for him to be same as me side by side and he is on my day shift but he gets to keep his second shift premium?

Comment

Difference in Pay

I agree that it doesn't seem fair. That is why it is important for employers to explain compensation policies (while not divulging individual pay). If you feel that you are a victim of illegal discrimination, you can file a complaint. You can read more about discrimination at www.eeoc.gov. Otherwise, you can ask your employer about the reason for the difference...perhaps they will tell you. Just be prepared for an answer that you may not care for...such as you need to raise your performance, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
        X