This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my wages(salary) was not paid since jan-2008 Georgia

I work for my employer based in atlanta, GA. my work place is indiana. I was not getting paid since beginning of this year. when i insisted my employer said he is waiting for funds to be released by vendor and it take atleast 45 days. i waited almost five(5) months, now my employer is not responding my phone calls and not responding emails as well.

what is the best way. my wages approx $17,000

Thanks in advance

I believe, in your case, your best option would be to bring a lawsuit against your employer for unpaid wages. You can't sue in small claims court due to the amount you would sue for (would be over max. amt. for SSC). You can contact the court clerk of your county to see where & how you should file. You might want to obtain the assistance of an attorney.

Good luck on getting your wages due.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

And if this ever happens again, don't wait so long.

I just don't understand the number of posts we get from people who continue to work for months when they don't get paid.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

thanks

Thank you for your responses.

I waited for long time because my employer said he will pay me as soon as he get money from vendor. now he saying he didnt receive because the money was withdrawn by some one else on behalf of my employer.

a question, should i contact county clerk where i stayed(indiana) or should i contact couty clerk in my employer's state?

Comment

Actually, contact the Indiana Dept. of Labor first. Assuming you were an employee (taxes withheld from your pay), they may be able to pursue this on your behalf, since that is where the violation occured.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Indiana DOL will not accept/pursue wage claims less than $300.00 or more than $6,000.00 unless claiming min. wage or OT under Indiana law. They will also not accept them if your employer is not located in the state of Indiana.

makdr - are you an employee or independent contractor?
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
              Indiana DOL will not accept/pursue wage claims less than $300.00 or more than $6,000.00 unless claiming min. wage or OT under Indiana law. They will also not accept them if your employer is not located in the state of Indiana.
              So, it looks like a civil suit or the federal DOL, since I'm sure the amount is over $6,000.

I have to say, though, that if this employer is placing employees in Indiana, they HAVE created nexus and therefore would be considered an Indiana employer.

Of course, if the OP is NOT an employee, then even the federal DOL is not an option.

Comment

I am an employee but paid by hourly rate. I think i will try contacting Indiana first before going to federal DOL and then civil case.

I am glad i found this helpful site. thanks for help!!

Comment

Betty3 already cited that Indiana doesn't take claims over $6,000. Your unpaid wages are probably more than that, I would think.

Comment

It seems per his first post his wages are $17,000.

Comment

Does anyway it impacts my greencard if i take this case to federal DOL?

Comment

No, it doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                        X