This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do I have to take unpaid breaks? Iowa

I am pretty sure I read here that Iowa does not require employers to provide a break, paid or unpaid, for meals. My question is can they MAKE me take an unpaid break?

I work more than an hour from home and taking 30 minutes for lunch isn't really a break for me, since I can't go home, or run my errands. I'm mostly interested in doing my 8 hours and getting back home to my family. Can my employer force me to be there 8.5 hours and pay me for 8? Can't I just be there for 8 and get paid for 8?

Originally posted by doctordiogenes View Post
    can they MAKE me take an unpaid break?
    Yes. True for all 50 states.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Yes, even if not required by law, your employer can require you to take an unpaid lunch break.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

bummer, but thanks

thanks for the quick answers! I love this site! even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear:-( but best to be informed and know not to push such an issue!
        thanks!!

Comment

You can't please all of the people all of the time. Employees who are directed to take meal breaks under company policy, even though the law doesn't require it, complain. Employees who don't get meal breaks when the company doesn't provide them and the law doesn't require it, complain they should get one.

Oh, well.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X