This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hours worked in VA

I am an hourly non-exempt employee at a utility in Virginia. My work schedule is 4 ten-hour days per week. The day that I am of changes week to week. (Off Friday for 2 weeks, of Monday the next, then repeat)

About 2 years ago I was made the shop leadman of my maintenance department. Involved in being the leadman, I am to be at work 15 minutes before the rest of my shop to get a "turnover" from the night operators. I have repeatedly asked about pay for this extra time, and have yet to get a valid response.

My question is; is this normal/legal.

Additional Work

If you are non-exempt, you are required to be paid for all hours or partial hours worked. Therefore, I believe you are owed pay for that time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Would you happen to know where I can find a reference to the applicable law? Unfortunately, I believe that would be the only way that management will take this seriously.

Thanks

Comment

Kentucky

Sure, the link is at: http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs23.htm

Also, you don't have to be the person who confronts your employer. You can file a wage claim with the state.

Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Virginia

Here's a link that shows you how to file a wage claim if you are working in Virginia. It is to the US DOL as Virginia does not have a process to assist their citizens. http://www.dli.state.va.us/whatwedo/...powp1_faq.html

Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
          www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
          X