This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules for non profit organization?

I am in the state of Minnesota. I have 2 questions regarding part time employees in my non profit organization.
    1. For what benefits are our employees eligible? Are we required to offer them health insurance, etc. since they only work 20 hours per week?

2. I have an employee who sometimes works over 20 hours per week. I do not want to pay her overtime. I'm thinking of allowing her to "bank" hours and then allowing her to use these hours to get off early some day. What do you think about this? Are there laws that cover "comp" or "banked" hours?

Thank you so much for your help!
    It's hard knowing laws in different states... I just moved to MN 2 weeks ago.
    Thanks!

Minnesota

Minnesota's minimum wage laws, including overtime, are not as beneficial to employees as the federal laws, so the federal laws take precedent. Federal law says that overtime must be paid for hours worked over 40 in a week. So, under that scenario, employers have flexibility in the number of hours worked each day and "comp time" is possible, so long as it is within the same week.

The decision to offer benefits is dependent upon your own wants and of the insurance company. There are no mandates for offering health insurance.

By the way, your non-profit status is not pertinent in this case.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
    X