This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clocking In

Our employer uses Time Pilot to clock in. We also have to submit a bi-weekly time sheet. We are required to punch in at least 1 minute PRIOR to start time, or one minute or more AFTER end time. If we punch in (our out) at our exact start/end time, we must deduct 15 minutes from time worked and notate that on our time sheet. 15 minutes pay is then taken from our checks. Is this legal? Our employer allows us to eat lunch at our desks but does not allow any breaks.

Yes, within reason. Your employer is trying to minimize payments for the time spent waiting for the time clock. Waiting for a time clock is not considered compensable time. If you are performing your work, however, from the moment you punch the time clock until the time you punch out, it is not legal.

As far as rest periods are concerned, it depends on the state in which you are located.

Let me know what state you are in so I can answer that question. Also, please let me know if you have any other questions.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Puzzled

Thanks so much for your response.
      Employer reasoning: they want us to have all socializing (coffee fillups, bathroom necessities, etc.) done before/after scheduled work time, and that we must be seated at our desks from start to end time (totalling 8 hours). Some people socialize, some people don't. If a person has punched in at exact start time, and proceeds directly to their desk, can they still dock 15 minutes from pay? Is that reasonable?
      I understand Michigan does not have guidelines on rest periods. Thanks!

Comment

Time Clock

Your employer is required to pay you for hours worked. So, while some people may go to their desk right away, they may take time off during the day for a personal reason. Technically, your employer may be able to prove that all work time is being compensated.

However, if I were your employer, I would make sure that people understand that they are not to start or stop work until the scheduled time. (By the way, time spent in preparing to work, such as gathering equipment, etc., must be considered as work time.)

Let me know if you have any other questions.
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Working...
        X