X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File For Unemployment?

How Do I File For Unemployment?

You can visit http://www.edd.ca.gov/ for more information on unemployment.

Comment

Filing for unemployment

How one files for unemployment varies from state to state. Typically one need only go to the State’s office of income security, or Employment services (or whatever your state may call It.), and fill out an application. Most states require that the applicant attempt to find a job while receiving unemployment, and must show proof of such attempts.

Depending on the state, the unemployment office may require a brief “skills” interview-wherein the applicant is tested or interviewed about the type of skill she might have. Some states, typically smaller ones, may have job councilors on site to assist you in finding a job.

A few caveats about the unemployment process: most states consider unemployment benefits as a form of insurance in which the premiums have been paid by the employer. Thus, before the benefits start, the employer is almost always contacted to determine whether or not it wishes to pay the benefits or dispute the claim. Typically, when a person quits her job or is discharged for cause, employers will decline payment of the benefits. Following such a declination, the applicant (you) will have an opportunity to appeal. This is usually done before an administrative hearing officer who will then make the decision about whether the benefits can be denied. There may be several other appellate processes involved, leading up to the judicial system, but this too varies by state.

The other important caveat is that once one secures a job, it is important to IMMEDIATELY, let the office of employment know. Collecting unemployment checks while employed is a serious offense that can lead to serious trouble including, but not limited to, garnishment of wages, liens, and criminal charges.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy
        How Do I File For Unemployment?
        Can i file unemployment if i have been of work for two weeks but i am not fired or layed off

Comment

Unemployment benefits

Originally posted by Lynida Williams-Saddler
          Can i file unemployment if i have been of work for two weeks but i am not fired or layed off
          It depends on the reason for the unemployment. Did you quit your previous job or is there another reason for being unemployed for two weeks?

Comment

Working...
          X