Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Full Time" automatic disqualification for UC Benefits in PA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Full Time" automatic disqualification for UC Benefits in PA?

I was terminated from a sales job in my industry in 2012. After trying to find a job for over a month in my field and rightfully collecting unemployment benefits, I decided to take a job at a local car dealer. It was full time hours, but the training pay for the first couple of months was only $500 a week, which is not enough for my family to live on. I continuted to file for UC benefits, always honestly reporting my income.

Once I went on commision there were some weeks that I made little or no money at all.............yet all the while working "full time."

Fast forward a few months and I now have a letter from the state saying that because I was full time I was ineligible for UC benefits and I need to pay back $5,800. I filed an appeal, hoping to get the amount reduced or something. Am I wasting my / their time? I don't have the money to pay it back, but I can set up payments.

Do I stand any chance at all or should I just withdrawl my appeal and save the system some time and money?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Since it never hurts to appeal & you already have, I would go through with it. You never know what will be decided.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      Since it never hurts to appeal & you already have, I would go through with it. You never know what will be decided.

Thanks for your reply.

Anyone else have advice?

Comment

It is my understanding that if you are working full time, regardless of how much you are earning with relation to a prior position, in PA you are automatically disqualified for UI. Payback is at the discretion of the state.

You have two options:

1.) Appeal
        2.) Don't appeal

There really are no other choices.

If you elect choice one, you may succeed in getting a reduction of the payback amount, and you may not. But if you elect choice two, you very definitely will not.

Since it costs nothing but a little time, what harm can it do? The worst that can happen is that they say no, in which case you are no worse off than if you don't appeal in the first place.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Why would you want to withdraw your appeal when you have a "chance" of winning a reduction in payback amount even if it is a slight chance?

If you don't appeal, then definitely no reduction in amt.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
          X