X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overtime question

for colorado;

We get paid every two weeks. Right now my boss says anything over 80 hours is overtime. So this means I could work 70 hours in one week, and 10 the next and not get any overtime for the first week. That doesnt make any sense. I might add that we are landscapers, which are traditionally seasonal employees - except my part of the advertising strategy of my boss is to say that we work year round. I dont think we can be considered seasonal.
    Anyone know the answer here?
    thanks
    Last edited by cbg; 04-07-2008, 04:38 AM.

OT required pay?

[QUOTE=pasto76]for colorado;

We get paid every two weeks. Right now my boss says anything over 80 hours is overtime. So this means I could work 70 hours in one week, and 10 the next and not get any overtime for the first week. That doesnt make any sense. I might add that we are landscapers, which are traditionally seasonal employees - except my part of the advertising strategy of my boss is to say that we work year round. I dont think we can be considered seasonal.
    Anyone know the answer here?
    thanks

California requires that you get paid overtime if someone works over 8 hours a day or over 40 in a week. So if you worked 12 hours one day, you are entitled to overtime, even if you doesn't work at all the rest of the week.

Check with your state's law on Overtime.
    Last edited by cbg; 04-07-2008, 04:38 AM.
    Sue
    FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

40 hours per week..

FLSA requires that you be paid overtime for any hours over 40 worked per week.

So if you work 50 hours one week, and 30 hours the next, you get paid for 10 hours of overtime for the first one, and 30 at your regular rate the next period.

FLSA overwrites any state laws unless the state laws are in your 'favor'.

So if they want to give you 2x yourpay in your state, then thats overtime for you.. but they can't give you less than 1.5x your rate over 40 hours, unless you are an exempt employee, of course.

Comment

You replied to a post from 6-2004. We don't normally reply to old posts.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X