Mandatory OT for Part-Time Employees in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory OT for Part-Time Employees in

I have been employed at the same place for almost 3 yrs. I went part-time due to having a disabled child and opening a business that I have to be at in the evenings. Recently my employer has started issuing Mandatory Overtime. I am unable to work full-time let alone overtime which is why I went part-time. Is it legal for the employer to discipline me for not working the Mandatory Overtime when I am only a part-time employee?

Yes, it is. There's nothing in the law that exempts part time employees from having to work overtime.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree, there is no law against it. (unless you would have a binding employment contract to the contrary - very doubtful) Sorry.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Yes, your employer is allowed to set requirements for when and how much their employees work. Barring FMLA being involved, they aren't required to accommodate the disabled child (and even than only to a certain extent) and certainly not your side business.

Comment

Working...
        X