This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No compensation for unscheduled callouts Wyoming

My wife works for the school district here. They demand many things which I think are wrong not to compensate them for. I would like to know if is reasonable for an employer to demand this kind of behavior. She works a split shift from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. I think this is a terrible idea to start with but she knew it going in. The problem is she is expected to do a building check most weekends. The school can also call her out at any time to clean up unexpected messes. She also has to go out and check the building whenever an alarm goes off. The problem is there is never any compensation for use of her vehicle on all these unscheduled callouts and split shifts. She never gets overtime for any of them. She is always forced to adjust her regular shifts so that no overtime has to be paid. Her job is about an 8 mile drive. How can they demand that she drive out there all the time at their whim without compensating her for driving.

1. Because the law doesn't require she be reimbursed for mileage for call-backs.

2. If she works over 40 hours in the workweek, she must be paid overtime or given the option (her choice) of accruing comp time at 1.5 for 1; since this is a school district, comp time would be allowed.

Is she covered under a union contract that requires such reimbursement or overtime pay? If so, the union steward would be the first place to go. If not, and if neither of the above is occuring, she can file a claim for unpaid overtime with the state Dept. or Labor.

Has she asked her supervisor or HR why she is not getting overtime pay for the time worked when she is called back? Is she even getting straight-time pay?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

They make sure there is never any overtime so there is no issue about not being paid overtime. I"m just saying there should be some type of compensation for driving her personal vehicle out there any time they deem she needs to come clean up a mess. There are times she drives her car to the school up to 14 times in a week. She never gets extra pay for doing so.

Comment

I don't necessarily disagree with you but the law does not require it.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Her union agreement will tell you whether or not she gets mileage. It would be rare for them to pay her mileage for her regular shifts, even if these are split shifts or building checks (which are very common in school systems). It is also not uncommon for employees to be paid a flat rate for the building checks, which is entended to cover their mileage expenses as well as the time spent performing the inspection.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
            It is also not uncommon for employees to be paid a flat rate for the building checks, which is entended to cover their mileage expenses as well as the time spent performing the inspection.
            Yeah, I was wondering about her compensation plan. We used to pay our crossing guards that way.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X