This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independent Contractor Status / Medical Transcriptionist Wisconsin

I recently was notified via email that my "employer" out of the State of Arizona is ending my contract with them. Many other MTs in Wisconsin and other states are affected as well. They are saying that the government says medical transcription is no longer valid to be classified as an independent contractor position. They also state that IRS or gov. are imposing hefty fees which make it financially a burden for them to hire in certain states/geographic locations. I've been with this company for nearly 3 years. Is there any possible way to receive unemployment in a situation like this?

Could be. With an IRS ruling that MTs are employees, if you apply for unemployment (if you can file by mail do so) and can attach whatever notice you receive, they may also consider you an employee. It's likely that someone filed an SS-8 with the IRS (determination of worker status) and they got hit with some hefty fines. States often have a similar determination, and also often follow the IRS ruling on it.

Have a look at the info on the IRS site for SS-8 and if you can file by mail, address the issues in an addendum (how much they control your work, do you work for anyone else, etc.) You just might win. I did, in a similar situation.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Agree with Alice Dodd, it's very likely that you should have been classified as an employee all along. Immediately following your last day of work, file for unemployment. You will initially be denied, but in the meantime, you have opened your claim and got the ball rolling. Then you can appeal.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agree with other responders' comments. File for UI. Good luck.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you

I appreciate all of the input from each and every one of you.

Comment

You're certainly welcome.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
            X