This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hours at work Wisconsin

My employer hasn't given me hours in about 2 months. Is it right for him to do this to a 14 year old like myself who needs to help pay for his cell bills and other stuff? Please tell me what to do!!!!!!!!!!!=(

It's legal not to give you any hours. If he doesn't have any hours/work to give you, there is nothing you can do. Has anyone else been given a reduction in hours/no hours?

Just partly out of curiosity, what kind of work have you been doing & how long have you been doing it?

You might want to look for other employment.

Good luck to you. Those cell phone bills can add up.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I'm curious also. There are very few types of jobs a 14 year-old can hold.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

If you are asking if there is a law saying that your employer is required to give you hours, there is none; it doesn't matter what age you are. Unless you have a legally binding, bona fide contract that specifically guarantees you x number of hours, the employer can schedule you for as many or as few hours as he wants you to work, whether you are 14, 24, 44 or 74.

Since there are very few jobs that a 14 year old can legally do, it may be that he is not scheduling you because he has nothing that you can legally do. He's certainly not required to schedule you and then pay you for not working because you can't legally do the jobs he has available.

Sounds like it's time to look for a new job.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
          Unless you have a legally binding, bona fide contract that specifically guarantees you x number of hours, the employer can schedule you for as many or as few hours as he wants you to work, whether you are 14, 24, 44 or 74.
          I didn't mention anything about he could be guaranteed hrs. under a binding employment contract @ I seriously doubted he had one at 14 but you are correct in your answer.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I doubt that he has too. But I've learned from experience that if you don't use the qualifier, someone will eventually come back with a reminder.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by mlg1928 View Post
              My employer hasn't given me hours in about 2 months. Is it right for him to do this to a 14 year old like myself who needs to help pay for his cell bills and other stuff? Please tell me what to do!!!!!!!!!!!=(
              You need to start looking for another job. Apparently there just isn't work available for you to do with your present employer.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                I doubt that he has too. But I've learned from experience that if you don't use the qualifier, someone will eventually come back with a reminder.
                Agree, I debated whether to put it for that reason but then didn't.

Comment

Working...
                X