This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced to work against doctors order. Wisconsin

It does not seem legal to me that I was threated with being written up if I did not come in to work against doctors orders.

I have strep, which we all know is highly contagious. I work at a hotel. I do not ask for days off, in fact just two weeks ago I was pulling double shifts and such filling in for other employees who wanted/needed off. Something I was not required to do. Yet my manager threats to write me up because I am very ill, and the doctor says I should stay in bed for at least three days for the antibiotics to kick in, thus making me not as contagious.

Does this sound legal or right to any of you?

Do you qualify for FMLA?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

dont think so.

I dont think so, because dont you have to be with the employer for like a year or more?

I have worked here before, but never solidly. I was an 'on-call' person for a while, then didnt work at all there for two years, been back 3 or 4 months.

Comment

It seems you don't have enough months or hours worked preceding the leave to qualify for FMLA - federal or state.

It seems having strep would certainly be a compelling reason not to go in to work & it seems unfair to make you do so. However, the problem is it is not illegal for your employer to require you to come in to work sick & to write you up if you do not do so.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Once antibiotics have been in your system for AT LEAST 24 hours, you are no longer contagious.
          Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

thank you for those that answered the question.

to the one trying to give medical advice, check your facts:

"You are contagious while you still have symptoms. Most people stop being contagious 24 to 48 hours after they start antibiotics" @ Yahoo health.

This is also in line with what my doctor said, so long as I have symptoms, I am still contagious.

Comment

Originally posted by windowofdark View Post
              thank you for those that answered the question.

to the one trying to give medical advice, check your facts:

"You are contagious while you still have symptoms. Most people stop being contagious 24 to 48 hours after they start antibiotics" @ Yahoo health.

This is also in line with what my doctor said, so long as I have symptoms, I am still contagious.
              We'll have to agree to disagree. I used to get strep often - really often. Several times a year. I have always been told the 24 hour "rule". Obviously, every doc isn't going to agree.

Your employer is not bound by your doctor's note.
              Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

Working...
              X