This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking sick leave when wife delivers baby Wisconsin

Could someone tell me if I'm able to use up my sick leave when my wife delivers our baby? I have approximately 30 days of sick banked at this time. Or do I have to use my vacation?

Thank you

That is a question for your HR department.

Comment

Are you normally allowed to use sick leave for a family member's illness?
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Maine requires that if you are FMLA eligible, you MUST be allowed to use sick leave for a family member even though some companies restrict the use of sick leave to the employee's illness only.

So, state law may override company policy, but I have NO clue what the laws in Wisconsin are or what your company policy is. FWIW, Maine only adopted that law within the last few years and, as we try to be on the leading edge of employee friendly legislation, I would not be surprised to learn that Wisconsin is not as generous.

Thirty days? Kudos to you for not calling out often, if ever. Heckfire, if I were your company I would have NO problem making an exception to the rule, if they have one that would not normally pay sick time for the illness of a family member.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Here are the links to thje WI statutes and information http://nxt.legis.state.wi.us/nxt/gat...h.%20dwd%20225

http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/er/family...ve/default.htm
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Working...
          X