This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• madatory meetings and classes.. Wisconsin

I've been working at this salon for about a year now.. i know that soon we have to go on this trip which my boss says is "Mandatory" but she will not pay for our time there and to travel... It would be on a sunday and monday... I think she feels that she shouldn't have to pay us because she booked the room and paid like 100/ticket for like 10 of us and has to close down shop for a day losing out on earnings for her and she does pay for a meal.. i know in the past they have brought this up about the pay but it didn't get anywhere... i will be working all week m,t,th,f,s and then i "have to" go on sunday, mind you it's over 3 hours to get there.. i'm not really up to it... shouldn't i get paid as well as my coworkers if we are required to go? i don't know where to look or who to ask.. what should we do?

Are you an employee (as in taxes withheld from your checks)? And if so, are you exempt or nonexempt?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

mandatory

i don't really understand exempt or not. i pay my taxes and i get paid vacation... does that help?

Comment

Not in the slightest.

What are your job duties?
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Actually, it did help in determining that you are being treated as an employee.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

mandatory

i'm a stylist.. cut hair color....etc... she has had other training and meetings in the past that were paid for...

Comment

The starting point is to determine if you are an employee are not. Some workers in your profession are treated as employees and others (correctly or not) are treated as so-called independent contractors.
              - Do you have taxes withheld from your check?
              - Do you receive a W2 at year end?
              If answer to these questions are yes, then your employer considers you to be an employee. If instead:
              - You do not have taxes withheld from your check?
              - You receive a 1099 at year end?
              Then your employer (correctly or not) regards you as a so-called independant contractor.

Assuming that you are an employee, then based on what you have said, you are Non-Exempt. That means you must be paid for all hours worked and must be paid overtime for hours worked past 40 in the work week. If you receive tips, then your rate of pay and minimum wage requirements may be complicated.

If instead your employer is treating you as an independent contractor, then things get complicated. Re-ask your question if this is the case.
              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
              Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

mandatory

i am non exempt.. i pay taxes, have w2s and i am an employee.. then i should be compensated for my training hours.. where would i go to get information that i can show her if i please? just to let her know...

Comment

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.27.htm

Note that if any one of these is NOT true, the time is compensable.

Comment

Working...
                  X