Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vacation pay after leaving a job. does the employer owe it or not?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacation pay after leaving a job. does the employer owe it or not?

Is Wisconsin a state where vacation pay must be paid to an employee after they terminate employment? I recently left a job and my ex employer will not pay my 1 week vacation pay. However, he has set a precedent with another employee in the company whereas he paid vacation time and also insurance benefits. There were 4 full time employees and only one received vacation pay previously and also insurance premiums were paid by the employer for the same employee. But no one else got these benefits. We were told that we had one week of vacation after one year of employment and an extra day for each year thereafter. One thing however, nothing is in writing as the employer does not want to committ.

Wisconsin law does not require the payout of unused vacation after termination. Making an exception for one employee is unlikely to create a binding precedent.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X