This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington YOUR RIGHTS AS AN AGRICULTURAL WORKER Labor Law Poster

The minimum wage in Washington State is recalculated each year as a result of an initiative approved by voters in 1998. Your employer is required to pay the current minimum wage. You or your employer can learn the current minimum wage by:
    •Visiting the L&I web site at www.LNI.wa.gov
    • Calling a local L&I offi ce
    • Calling L&I's Employment Standards
    Minimum wage exemption
    Agricultural workers must be paid at least the state minimum wage unless they meet all three of the following requirements:
    1. They are hand-harvest laborers who are paid piece rate; and
    2. They commute daily from their permanent residence to the farm; and
    3. They were employed in agriculture less than 13 weeks during the preceding calendar year.
    Pay periods and pay statements
    You must be paid at least once a month on a regularly scheduled pay day.
    Each time you are paid, you must receive a statement from your employer showing the number of hours you worked, your rate of pay, the number of piece work units earned if paid on a piece rate basis, your gross wages, the pay period and all deductions taken. A pay statement must identify the employee and include the employer’s name, address and telephone number.
    Employment records
    Your employer must keep a record of your name, address, occupation, rate of pay, amount paid each pay period and the hours worked. These records
    must be made available to you upon request at any reasonable time.
    Meal and rest breaks
    You are entitled to a meal period of at least 30 minutes if working more than fi ve hours in a day. If working 11 or more hours in a day, you are allowed at least one additional 30-minute meal period.
    You are entitled to at least a 10-minute paid rest break for each four hours worked.
    Farm labor contractors
    A farm labor contractor must have a license issued by the Department of Labor and Industries (L&I) and a surety bond that ensures payment of wages to
    workers. The farm labor contractor must show you the license. The contractor also must provide you with pay statements itemizing the hours worked and the rate of pay. The farm labor contractor must give you a signed form that explains the terms of employment and your rights as a worker.
    Complaints
    L&I has the right to investigate the wages, hours and working conditions of all employers. You may file a complaint with your local L&I offi ce if you feel any of these laws are being violated.
    Penalties
    An employer who is convicted of violating provisions of the Minimum Wage Act or of discriminating against an employee for fi ling a minimum wage complaint
    will be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. The department may fi ne employers who violate child labor laws, pay period and meal and rest break requirements.
    Appeals
    Any person, firm or corporation may appeal an action or decision made by L&I. Contact your local L&I offi ce to learn more about the appeals process.
    Workers under age 18
    The minimum wage for 16- and 17-year-old workers is the same as for s. Minors under 16 may be paid 85 percent of the state minimum wage.
    Minor work permit endorsements are required for employers with minor workers and must be applied for within three days after hiring a minor. Before
    employing a minor, the employer must obtain written permission from the minor’s legal guardian and from the minor's school if he or she is employed during the school year. These rules do not apply to immediate family members of farm owners.

The minimum age for minor workers is 14. The one exception is: Children aged 12 and 13 are allowed to work only during non-school weeks handharvesting
    berries, bulbs and cucumbers and hand-cultivating spinach. No other exceptions apply.
    Age 12 and 13: Can work up to 8 hours a day, 40 hours per week, 6 days per week only during non-school weeks
    hand-harvesting berries, bulbs and cucumbers and hand-
    cultivating spinach. Start and fi nish times: 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.
    Prohibited duties for minors in agriculture. Minor agricultural workers are prohibited from dangerous work, such as handling dangerous pesticides,
    anhydrous ammonia and dynamite or blasting caps. Minors also are prohibited from harvesting crops prior to expiration of the pre-harvest interval or within 14 days of chemical application if no pre-harvest interval
    exists. Additional restrictions apply to minor agricultural workers under 16, such as operating dangerous machinery, working on tall ladders or scaffolds and working in food processing. Contact your local L&I offi ce for a copy of the rules.
    More information on your rights as a worker
    For more information on these laws or to obtain copies of this poster, contact your local

This document is available in other formats to
    accommodate persons with disabilities. For assistance,
Working...
X