This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• employee property Washington

A mechanic left his place of employment, telling the employer he'd return later for his personal tools. More than a year has passed, and he has not returned. The employer has made several attempts to contact the former employee, including a certified letter which was returned unclaimed. Is the employer within their rights to finally dispose of the tools?

I think you'd be pretty safe in disposing of it. You've done all you can (more, actually).
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Your (the OP) state is not my state, but I think that I would want to check with your state's "escheat" rules before I dumped the employee's property.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Good point, DAW. I was thinking of this more as a bailment, but I might be off track on that.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You could be right. But since I do not really know, and each the 50 states tend to have their own ways of doing things. "escheat" seems to be a possible pile of dog stuff that I would like to avoiding stepping in. Should it actually exist.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
          X