Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tip pooling in restaurant, including manager,dishwasher,cooks legal? Washington

I am just wondering since I had worked in many restaurants but never been asked to share equal tip with cook until now.

When I was hire, I have been told that I have to share equal tip with cooks, dishwasher, sushi chefs, cashier,servers,bartender (bartender can keep cash tip but have to put credit tip in the poor with server) and 8% would go to manager. (In each shift I have to share with at lease 9 people which not much at all.)

Is this legal in Washington State? How can I find it out?

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.pdf

Tip Pooling: The requirement that an employee must retain all tips does not preclude a valid tip pooling or sharing arrangement among employees who customarily and regularly receive tips, such as waiters, waitresses, bellhops, counter personnel (who serve customers), busboys/girls and service bartenders. Tipped employees may not be required to share their tips with employees who have not customarily and regularly participated in tip pooling arrangements, such as dishwashers, cooks, chefs, and janitors. Only those tips that are in excess of tips used for the tip credit may be taken for a pool. Tipped employees cannot be required to contribute a greater percentage of their tips than is customary and reasonable.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Working...
    X