This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• payed wrong due to comp program Washington

Our company implemented a computerized payroll system about 10 months ago. About 6 months ago people started having BIG problems with their pay. Some people had large amounts deducted from their checks with no understanding of why. When payroll was questioned about this, often times they could not explain why this happened. Other times they stated the employee had been over payed in previous months, when they in fact had not been overpayed. The problem is concerning the program itself not recognizing certain payments that are given such as differential, overtime, doubletime, and bonuses for working extra. Payroll has been contacted many times by many staff members and we are given the same pat answer, "it will be fixed on your next check," and it is not. Some of these checks are months without being fixed and continue to compound the problems the longer this goes on. Sometimes an attempt is made to fix the wronged hours, but the corrected hours are placed in the wrong catagory, making it almost impossible to keep track of the errors and attempted repairs. We know the management is working on the problem, but the problem continues to compound, in the meantime. Some employees have expressed the desire to have this program removed while they are trying to fix it. That suggestion has fallen on deaf ears.

As far as the law is concerned, what can we as employees do to get paid correctly and in a timmely manner?

If you aren't being paid what is owed in a timely manner you can file a claim with the DOL. However, if the company is trying to resolve the matter, your best bet is to work with them.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Ah, the stupdity of going live with a system that hasn't been properly tested and just isn't ready.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by joec
        Microsoft Windows Vista.
        JoeC
        I am not having issues with it. Works fine on my system.
        Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
          Ah, the stupdity of going live with a system that hasn't been properly tested and just isn't ready.
          I was wondering when you were going to chime in:P
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
            I was wondering when you were going to chime in:P
            My chimes were out of order for a while, but they're working again.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

In the 1990s there was a large local school district who went through this. It took them something like 2.5 years to get to the point where most of the checks were correct most of the time and they were turning over their entire payroll department (20+ staff) something like every 8 months. They used to have a full page ad in the help wanted page of the local newspaper every Sunday. I used to get calls from headhunters ever 4 months or so for several years. Not interviewing with them was one of the best decisions I ever made. Perhaps the only payroll department that I could read about in the local newspaper on a regular basis.

Changing payroll systems is like change the tire on a moving car. When it goes bad, it goes really bad. Like Patty said, this stinks of management doing a quick implemention without adequate preparation. It is very difficult to recover because the employer is probably functionally doing manual payrolls in addition to trying to troubleshoot the existing system. No one has enough regular staff for that, and most companies require overtime to get payroll out when things are working correctly.
              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
              Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

DAW, check my prior employer.

Comment

My husband's computer has Vista; the computer crashed (not Vista's fault - he dropped it); he's using mine just now; I have XP; it's driving him nuts. He wants his Vista back.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
                  X