This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an employer take away sick leave? Washington

We were a small corp of 25+ when we were bought out by a large corporation (1/2007) we received so much time a month for vacation leave and so much time for sick leave. We have not had our handbooks changed nor given information on new policys etc.
    Then 1/2008 the sick leave was no longer on our paystubs, when payroll was asked they said we have new policy that you will have personal leave of 10 hours every month, (this amount is more then most employees were already earning with the vaca and sick)however this is less then I and some other longer term employees were getting.
    So - long story short I lost 100+ hours of sick leave is that really legal?
    I dont have a contract and we are an at will state, when we hired people that was stated as part of the benefits package.
    Any input-

Thanks Angel

No state prohibits use it or use it policies for sick time. While only an attorney who has reviewed the previous policies can tell you if the employer is bound by them, what you describe does not violate any law.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
    X