This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• only employee that has to work Holiday Washington

I work for the City I am a non-exempt full time employee . However our Handbook says When computing overtime,holidays,sick leave and vacation are not counted as time worked but it also says Full time employees shall receive up to 8 hours pay for each holiday on which they perform NO WORK. Well I am the only one working the holidays and I am a waterplant operator and the State mandates that it is to be worked can they keep me from any over time compensation?
    Last edited by ptmeyer; 11-20-2006, 06:06 PM. Reason: had to change wording

Overtime is not due unless you WORK over 40 hours in a workweek. If you WORK more than 40 hours, you have to be paid overtime; the holiday has nothing to do with it. But they are not required by law to consider time paid for but not worked in calculating overtime.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Are you covered by a union contract or CBA? If so, there may be some provision in there about what you get for working on a holiday. I have employees on a federal contract and if they work on a holiday, I must pay them double time.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for replying I kind of thought the same . We used to get paid but they took that away from us.

Comment

Working...
        X