This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum Hours between shifts? Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming

My husband's employer schedules employees eight hours between shifts, as does my employer. We both work in retail. I was always led to believe that as a manager, I must enforce the eight hours between shifts for my employees. However, his manager has told him that they are required to schedule eight hours between shifts, but if he chooses to work later and thus have fewer than eight hours between shifts, that is his choice. Of course, it isn't really a "choice" to continue to work and thus sometimes have only 5-6 hours between shifts. Are there any requirements around minimum hours between shifts? We live in Washington state.
    Last edited by Sara79; 10-29-2006, 07:44 PM. Reason: Scrolled and selected wrong state! Eeek!

No, there are none in ANY state for general types of employment. That may be company policy, but it's not codified into a law.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

There are a few industry specific exceptions where there is a public safety factor; airline pilots, truck drivers, in some states nurses. But as far as general employment is concerned, in all 50 states there is no requirement at all for any specific number of hours between shifts; back to back shifts would still be legal.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
      X