Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia - Good Cause to Quit? Virginia

Good Afternoon,

In December I was recruited by a small company in Virginia to be an Account Manager. I accepted the position because I felt this would be a wonderful opportunity to further my career. At the end of December, I left my job in Georgia, moved to Virginia for this job. Once I came on board it was decided that I would be the "Accounting Manager" and the lady that currently holds that position was moved into the position I was suppose to fill of "Account Manager". These two roles are VERY different and I do not have an accounting background. I expressed this to my supervisor who is also the owner of the company. He was not concerned and said I would catch on quickly. I still voiced my concerns and explained to him I have never had training as an accountant or worked as an accountant. I am very honest about my abilities in this area. I am not very good with math, spreadsheet formulas and I can't stand writing checks/paying bills (mine or someone else's). I also can not stand sitting at a desk all day. The position of Account Manager would of been a much better fit. My supervisor decided to continue with his decision and I was to be the Accounting Manager. I felt like I didn't have an option but to go with it. I just moved here and could not all of a sudden be with out a job. As time goes on, I am not doing so well in this position and have made a few mistakes but nothing detrimental to the business and none of the mistakes made it out the door into the customer's hand. Essentially, I caught my own mistakes. I have sat down with my supervisor and expressed to him on several occasions that I am not an Accountant. He would shrug it off and say something like, "well the company is not big enough for an actual accountant yet." Now about 3 weeks ago, I had to be out for 3 days due to a medical emergency, which is documented. During this time the previous lady that was in this position is filling in for me. Upon my return, my supervisor ask to speak with me and explains that I have made to many of the same mistakes over again. I ask which mistakes he is referencing and he can not give me any examples. This is because I have not made the same mistakes repeatedly. Not that this really matters, a mistake is a mistake. He goes on to tell me that he has decided to make me and this other lady a team. I am now to report to her. I have had to move to a cubicle and she tells me exactly what to do everyday. Which is fine, I am not good at this job, I am not an accountant. From about 2 weeks into this position, I realized I am not cut out for this job and I have been looking for other suitable employment. What makes matters worse, is I have to constantly listen to the owner tell this lady how good she is at her job and how he wishes I could be better, more like her. It is nauseating. Over all, I am miserable here and my health is starting to suffer. Over all I was mislead about this job. My job offer letter clearly states that my position was to be that of an account manager not accounting. If I would of known, I would not of left my job in Georgia.
    So what I am wondering is if I have "good cause" to quit in order to receive unemployment benefits until I can find another job?

I have spent countless hours reading everything I can about unemployment in Virginia and I am so confused.

Thanks in advance for all the help/advice.

Your chances of getting UI because you don't like your job are extremely low, to the point of being a minor miracle if awarded. Basically, don't count on it. Continue looking for another position more to your liking and leave when you find one.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Your best bet is to stay in this job until you find other employment. There is no way for us to know definitely what the UI agcy. would decide if you quit & filed a claim.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
        Your chances of getting UI because you don't like your job are extremely low, to the point of being a minor miracle if awarded. Basically, don't count on it. Continue looking for another position more to your liking and leave when you find one.
        Hi ElleMD,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Yes, it's true I do not like my job. However, I am wondering if I can receive UI benefits based on the grounds that I was mislead. I was hired to be an Account Manager but was very quickly moved to be the Accounting Manager. The duties of both positions are very different and I have never worked as or in an Accounting position. I was presented with an offer letter that stated the Account Manager position and never given an option. I would not have moved several states for the Accounting Manager position.

However, I imagine I will be let go sooner or later due to not being a good fit or something similar.

Thanks for your assistance! : )

Comment

It is very unlikely that you will be approved for unemployment benefits if you resign for this reason.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree, unlikely to nil.

Comment

If you don't like your job, your choices are to stay or look for other employment. However, you should have another job before you quit. Good luck.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
              X